70%
This is an amazing read.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
69%
Post Likes: 1
Not trying to tell you how to run your business but perhaps getting a proper marketing manager on board to deal with this stuff would help? CG had a monopoly for a long time and still to an extent have a monopoly. I would assume the traffic would be quite good and the ROI is definitely there.

There would definitely not be '100s' of legitimate applications. Your pro level orgs would be the only ones, and even then you can quite easily separate the legit ones from the others. Chiefs, Legacy, Avant, Immunity, if you don't realise these are the types of orgs you should be helping then perhaps you're far more disconnected from the community than you think.

If any other org wants to get up to this level you will be able to see it from a mile away that they are the real deal. It's not easy being a 'pro' tier org.

You don't need to give me your sponsor details, you don't need to give me any sponsor details (would be nice though) but at the very least give me the analytics for your site and streams. Give me a platform to push my product, as small as a table at your events to sell gear if that's all you can do. Give me a better means of advertising my brand on your website. CG do nothing for orgs right now.

Let me put it this way, I currently have 4 teams that compete in CG tournaments. Each season is going to cost me in the thousands.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
83%
Quote from MajinDabura on the 9th of October 2016:
Not trying to tell you how to run your business but perhaps getting a proper marketing manager on board to deal with this stuff would help?

Ah yes, surely they can hire someone with their millions of dollars they hoard.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
69%
Quote from Lord on the 9th of October 2016:
Not trying to tell you how to run your business but perhaps getting a proper marketing manager on board to deal with this stuff would help?

Gotta spend money to make money.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
77%
@MajinDabura

How can you expect that from cybergamer? As a "Top" organisation you should be the one that needs the LEAST help in contacting sponsors. Asterix has done a fair job of showing you the expenses and loss that he/others incur from simply running the site. You also have to remember that CS is not the ONLY game on this website, there are other costs incurred from running other competitions etc as well.

Also, how do you think it would go down if CG handed all of these random organisations contact details to their sponsors? It's quite selfish of you to think that you can just expect that. You're an organisation owner and should come to expect that it is YOUR duty to contact sponsors. I remember contacting them when I was 15/16 asking for sponsorship for an Electric Vehicle competition that myself and a few peers wanted to enter. These were large mining companies and I had to have an interview for most of it, all off my own chest, with no interference from my school, workplace, or peers. Yes it can be difficult, but chuck yourself out there, break the ice, give them something to WANT to sponsor you for. You're a people's organisation that interacts with the community. There has to be something there that is sellable. Your streamers, for example.

I like you, you're a good guy, I enjoyed playing in the jays while I did, there are just things that you clearly aren't understanding here.

Edited once, 8/10/16 - 11:44am.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
78%
Post Likes: 6
Quote from Lord on the 9th of October 2016:

Gotta spend money to make money.
Gotta make money to make money too
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
78%
CG does everything for orgs, they allow you to play in the most notable leagues in Australia. I dont think the likes of chiefs, avant, exile5 etc got all their sponsors from handouts by CG, like stratos said they got them on their own accord. And i have no doubt that reference to their CG achievements were made.

So if you're truly that desperate for sponsors then go out and get them.

Can someone tell me how the current Winterfox lineup was created/found out about/all info about it
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
77%
$30 per person for a season of cga correct cause you only have to get premium? $40 for cgm and $45 for cgi? Wowweeee dads gonna hate that hit on his credit card!!!
Downvote
1.1 years ago
NZ
Rep:
82%
PS COD PUG Admin
hahahaha this is so funnny to read.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
69%
Post Likes: 4
A lot of the people here commenting have no clue as to how it works in the real world. I've stated many times that CG does not need to give out sponsor details, but if there are non-endemic sponsors with prying eyes, a steer in the right direction is always helpful. Hi-Rez do it literally all the time and push for the growth of their community. Riot do it all the time so the orgs under their banner can grow their game more.

SIDE NOTE: I'm sure you will see a lot more of this coming from riot in the coming seasons. They have created a new business model to support the orgs more and in NA there was a MASSIVE debate between the owner of Riot and the owner of TSM about how Riot were not doing enough for orgs. Riot have since acknowledged they aren't supporting those who support them which creates a negative growth environment. They have since addressed this and there will be changes.

Outside of that, the most important piece here was the analytics. We can, will and do already speak with sponsors. Having the statistics to back what we say or further increase the the interest and backing of a sponsor goes a long way.

Playing on CG means nothing for sponsors. Particularly when overseas trips are a common occurrence. With all due respect to CG, it is no longer the premier tournament. Winning that compared to winning an overseas trip isn't even comparative and sponsors feel the same way. They get more bang for their buck if they invest 1k and get international recognition than if the team they invested in only played on CG. NOW, in saying that, if we had the analytics to show that it is more beneficial to be seen on CGTV and other CG platforms due to targeting the local market, it would be far easy to sway the sponsors. They need numbers.

At the end of the day, esports is marketing. Our sole job is to sell products to people. Whether that product is our brand, the players, or the sponsors, we have to sell it. How can we sell something to someone if we don't even know its worth?
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
69%
When I saw this change first off I wasn't a fan. With Asterix showing just how much CG costs to run, I realised this was a good change.

As he pointed out, $30 isn't a ton of $$$, and with $30 pp for premium (inc 1 sub) CG takes in a fair bit which'll help fund prize pools and cover costs.

Last CGa season had 58 teams as far as I know, so the total income for a CGa season with this format and 58 teams again is $10.440, which is probably a big improvement over what CG got for last season.

As far as I can tell in the OP CGa doesn't have to pay an additional entry fee, just have 5/6 people with premium. Premium also gives you unlimited CG pugs etc, and all the stuff Asterix says hes gonna add.

I reckon its a pretty good deal, and remember that everybody who runs CG doesn't have to, and they dedicate their time to making competitions.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
68%
Quote from Styx1337 on the 9th of October 2016:
When I saw this change first off I wasn't a fan. With Asterix showing just how much CG costs to run, I realised this was a good change.

As he pointed out, $30 isn't a ton of $$$, and with $30 pp for premium (inc 1 sub) CG takes in a fair bit which'll help fund prize pools and cover costs.

Last CGa season had 58 teams as far as I know, so the total income for a CGa season with this format and 58 teams again is $10.440, which is probably a big improvement over what CG got for last season.

As far as I can tell in the OP CGa doesn't have to pay an additional entry fee, just have 5/6 people with premium. Premium also gives you unlimited CG pugs etc, and all the stuff Asterix says hes gonna add.

I reckon its a pretty good deal, and remember that everybody who runs CG doesn't have to, and they dedicate their time to making competitions.
Same here everyone needs to realise that this site and everything included costs alot, they need to change this stuff to keep above the water :O
Downvote
1.1 years ago
AU
Rep:
52%
CGPL Host
Quote from dashwow on the 9th of October 2016:
So where the fucks the sponsor money going to? Last season you had 3 extra sponsors that aren't currently advertised on CG, nVidia, AOC and Plantronics, add in Gigabyte and you have four multi-million global corporations that have a major audience in gaming, yet you're not getting anything out of them?

Did you by chance see the LAN final?

Everyone says they want LAN, but its expensive. Sponsors aren't dumb. They aren't just giving buckets of money to Asterix and the CG crew to screw around with.

Sponsor money most likely only just covers the cost of the LAN. By the time you hire the venue, pay to get the admins to Sydney, pay for accommodation, the costs of upgraded gear or replacement equipment, the costs of signage and incidentals, you end up with a large bill. And after all of that, people are still unhappy with the size of the venue, or the quality of the setup. So costs rise again.

None of this takes into account the costs of running a website the size of CyberGamer.
Downvote
1.1 years ago
OP
AU
Rep:
100%
AU Site Admin
USA Site Admin
EU Site Admin
You have compared us to a bunch of companies with a great many paid employees. CG is run by volunteers and we have to focus our time on where we can help the most people.

Most people do not post or really even read threads like this. As pointed out previously CG is used by many different types of people with many different expectations. These changes allow us to meet our costs, and if we are very optimistic get to the point where losing a sponsor wouldnt be devastating to the site.

Our entry fees quite simply should have been at least 25% higher for the past year.

Hopefully in the future we can get to the point that we do some of what you want.

Thanks
Downvote
1.1 years ago
Saz
AU
Rep:
75%
But if I have to buy CG premium how will I afford graffiti?

Downvote
1.1 years ago