NA
CONSOLE PC
AU
Rep:
76%
studio big enough for third party hire?

possibly increase fees to enter into CGp leagues where you can make use of the studio?

Surely these would be the first places you would look for extra cash imo.
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
84%
Post Likes: 7
Why do i have to pay extra and does this benefit me at all as a 5v5 player?
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
81%
MLG is where its at
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
73%
Quote from in5aiyaN on the 18th of July 2017:

possibly increase fees to enter into CGp leagues where you can make use of the studio?

if its big enough host a lan inside? GF on the provided stage pcs?
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
80%
Post Likes: 1
MM
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
86%
PS Media Team
Post Likes: 9
Just contacted centrelink about this. they refuse to give me a extra 7.50 a fortnight?
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
81%
I remember when cg console sides was most active back when cg premium didn't matter .
Now you have to pay more to play leagues ( premium cost )

Now you have to have premium to play any tournament.

What's next you have to have premium to post on a thread ??
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
72%
Post Likes: 2
just an idea;

i'm not sure raising fees @ the low end is the best idea, maybe introduce entry fees for CGA (would also filter out teams that are in it to have a good time and not to climb the ranks), then increase fees for entry into invite. i think you'll find a lot of fellas on here (myself included in my job hunt) can barely spare the current fees per month, let alone twice.

i love what you guys do for the community but there's only so much people will pay for a third party service when they can find others for cheap.
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
38%
Post Likes: 10
A quick summary of my thoughts on justifying paying for a premium membership;

Running a competitive gaming community is a task that requires dedication. This website remains to be the premier hub for Australian competitive gaming. Several genres, several communities, several platforms all turn to Cybergamer for help in creating servers, managing leagues, maintaining a check-in point for all of the aforementioned and varied interests that make up Australian competitive gaming. We live in a world where none of this comes for free. There are inherent costs in simply maintaining a webserver, let alone running a stable platform that can serve tens of thousands (if not hundreds) of pageviews a day with zero downtime. Moreover, maintaining gaming servers, running competitions, volunteering time and effort all costs money. Time is money friend, and it's a well known fact that anyone with intent to assist in the community does so by sacrificing their own time.

Let's look at a couple of figures, just for the website and studio

Registration of domain name - $127.00 for a .com.au
Cloudflare DDOS protection - $200/mth (probably more, possibly on an enterprise plan and not including features like SSL certs, additional page rules, rate limiting, load balancing, etc)
Physical server (just one, to serve hosting of the site). $2000-4000 AUD, with upkeep and expenses not inlcuded
Internet connections - $150+ a month, per administrator/mod, most of which pay for their own
Equivalent Beast Dedicated Server - $678.00 a month (serversaustralia.com.au quoted for the price)

I'm done stacking this up, this is stuff that I'm thinking about off the cuff.

Now, let's look at the ONE FIGURE ALONE quoted ITT. $9000/mth for overheads on the studio. To pay for that with memberships alone, you need 602 recurring subscriptions A MONTH. Now, I don't have access to the figures, the ins and outs, but if I had to guess, cybergamer is potentially RUNNING AT A LOSS, or at very best, breaking even. Sure, if we can nurture the Australian gaming community into something that rivals Europe or NA, perhaps there can be more money in it, but a fair chunk of income comes from affiliate marketing and memberships, and this about covers very little and probably (highly likely) won't pay for a single $40K a year salary.

So, will you do us the solid of not having one maccas meal a month after a cheeky night out with the boys and some cold ones, and pay for a membership, so that Cybergamer can continue to provide endless benefits for a bunch of ungrateful gamers?

I hope so.

Cheerio.
Downvote
4 months ago
OP
AU
Rep:
100%
AU Site Admin
USA Site Admin
EU Site Admin
Post Likes: 2
Quote from xeqtr on the 18th of July 2017:
Quote from in5aiyaN on the 18th of July 2017:

if its big enough host a lan inside? GF on the provided stage pcs?
I have posted several times for groups interested in using our studio to contact me, basically no one has.

My most recent twitter post has it:
https://twitter.com/AsterixCG

I've also posted in the AU public esports group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/261136744344543/?multi_permalinks=323398608118356&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&notif_id=1499846749974161

This page is also linked in a ton of places:
http://au.cybergamer.com/studio/

We have 13 predator PC's and 15-20 PCs from www.originpc.com.au available for use.

Selling the use of our studio is unlikely to ever be any kind of money maker, but it'd be nice if the place was used more. The only events scheduled there are in the topmenu of the site, all August has no events.

As for premium, there is a lot of factors contributing to the change.
- Ads on the website bring in less than half what they did a year ago for the same page views, and i'd rather not disable the site for adblock users as that's pretty lame.
- More users than expected manage to play a CGa season with only 1 month of premium, then disband, and/or try and get away with playing in premium-required matches without premium.
- More and more chargebacks are occurring, which cost us like $20 each time.
- The cost of running the site has gone up by like 30% in the last 9 months (mostly from the studio)
- We've opted for some hardware etc from sponsors rather than money
- The existing price should probably have been set at $12.95 originally
- Finally, i'd rather have an easier to run site with the potential to actually have some money in reserve, rather than the stress of balancing an insanely tight budget.

We'd also rather not offer a monthly subscription option at all and only offer quarterly, would make life way easier to plan. But 70-75% of users continue to go with monthly, even though you would save 20% going quarterly.

Finally, combined across the site we pay about 30k/year in "Staff wages", most of these are 3rd party casters and such at events. The bulk of our costs are prizemoney, rent for our studio and flights/accommodation for our volunteer staff that fly in for events.

If you don't like the price change, then subscribe with a recurring subscription before August 1st, legacy subscriptions remain valid at their subscribed price. Otherwise go play CGo or go play on another site.
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
72%
Post Likes: 3
is this the end, cya cg hello esea open?
Downvote
4 months ago
OP
AU
Rep:
100%
AU Site Admin
USA Site Admin
EU Site Admin
Post Likes: 4
Quote from risen on the 19th of July 2017:
A quick summary of my thoughts on justifying paying for a premium membership;

Running a competitive gaming community is a task that requires dedication. This website remains to be the premier hub for Australian competitive gaming. Several genres, several communities, several platforms all turn to Cybergamer for help in creating servers, managing leagues, maintaining a check-in point for all of the aforementioned and varied interests that make up Australian competitive gaming. We live in a world where none of this comes for free. There are inherent costs in simply maintaining a webserver, let alone running a stable platform that can serve tens of thousands (if not hundreds) of pageviews a day with zero downtime. Moreover, maintaining gaming servers, running competitions, volunteering time and effort all costs money. Time is money friend, and it's a well known fact that anyone with intent to assist in the community does so by sacrificing their own time.

Let's look at a couple of figures, just for the website and studio

Registration of domain name - $127.00 for a .com.au
Cloudflare DDOS protection - $200/mth (probably more, possibly on an enterprise plan and not including features like SSL certs, additional page rules, rate limiting, load balancing, etc)
Physical server (just one, to serve hosting of the site). $2000-4000 AUD, with upkeep and expenses not inlcuded
Internet connections - $150+ a month, per administrator/mod, most of which pay for their own
Equivalent Beast Dedicated Server - $678.00 a month (serversaustralia.com.au quoted for the price)

I'm done stacking this up, this is stuff that I'm thinking about off the cuff.

Now, let's look at the ONE FIGURE ALONE quoted ITT. $9000/mth for overheads on the studio. To pay for that with memberships alone, you need 602 recurring subscriptions A MONTH. Now, I don't have access to the figures, the ins and outs, but if I had to guess, cybergamer is potentially RUNNING AT A LOSS, or at very best, breaking even. Sure, if we can nurture the Australian gaming community into something that rivals Europe or NA, perhaps there can be more money in it, but a fair chunk of income comes from affiliate marketing and memberships, and this about covers very little and probably (highly likely) won't pay for a single $40K a year salary.

So, will you do us the solid of not having one maccas meal a month after a cheeky night out with the boys and some cold ones, and pay for a membership, so that Cybergamer can continue to provide endless benefits for a bunch of ungrateful gamers?

I hope so.

Cheerio.
I posted most of our costs awhile ago here
http://au.cybergamer.com/forums/thread/p8917450

Quote:
Our monthly income:
CG premium: $10,000-$13,000/month from premium (after removing 10% GST and 2.5% on transaction fees)
Entry fees for higher divs and things like off-seasons = $3,000-$6,000/month
Sponsorship+advertising money which i'm not going to get into, but due to our expenses below is obviously at least $10,000/month

Quarterly this at least $70,000.

Our quarterly recurring expenses:
Rent + council fees + electricity + water + internet for CG studio in Adelaide: $27,000
Online servers for website + gameservers: $9000
online prize money : $10,528.00
prize money from CGPL PC CSGO: 16,001
prize money from CGPL PS4 COD: 10,200
Costs to run events (event staff wages, flights, accom, banners, etc): $10000+ (will heavily increase as we ramp up...)
Banking/accounting/general/other fees: $3000+
other stuff i've forgotten: $1000+
Wage to Steve: $0
Wage to Jeremy: $0

Quarterly costs: $70,000+
These figures are all pretty rough, but there's not much room for profit or savings.

I've been volunteering on CyberGamer for 10 years, i've not made any money, i've done this for the community. You guys probably see 5% of the work that I and others do, there is tons and tons that goes on behind the scenes to run an eSports community. It also gets harder and harder by the day to refrain from banning ungrateful users to oblivion

The alternatives to this premium change would be to kill off things that aren't profitable, but you would end up killing the soul of CyberGamer and it'd be far less interesting to only do half the things we do.

Finally, someday I may sell CyberGamer and I might become "rich", but i'd rather just get it to be easier to sustain whilst not having to answer to anyone. Any proper company would have made changes like this in a heartbeat.
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
68%
Quote from taitSinclair on the 19th of July 2017:
is this the end, cya cg hello esea open?
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
77%
Post Likes: 1
Cost more than ESEA Monthly, RIP.
Downvote
4 months ago
AU
Rep:
80%
PS COD Admin
PS Platform Mod
Shuddup, all you nerds are addicted to this, you'll pay the extra dosh despite complaining.
Downvote
4 months ago

View All Featured Upcoming PC Tournament:
Advertisement:
Advertisement:
PUBG?
I want to play in CG PUBG competitions
I only play PUBG casually
I dont play PUBG
1222 Votes